Friday, September 1, 2017

What the heck am I up to?


Quick Post:
So, here I am, 10 days from my departure on my gap year adventure.
I've gotten a lot of the same questions over and over again, so I've decided to do a little FAQ about what's up with me and my life until April 2018. 

FAQ about me & my gap year

1) You graduated! College?
Nope, not yet. I'm going with Thinking Beyond Borders (or TBB) on their Global Gap Year program.

2) Are you ever going to college?
I plan on applying to schools (while on the program!) and attending college in fall 2018. But, plans can change.

3) Wait, weren't you just in Thailand?
Yes, I was. You can read all about my experience here: After High in Chiang Mai. Now, I found most were confused by this, so let me clear it up. My first trip to Thailand was a Christmas gift from my lovely parents. I went with Global Leadership Adventures (or GLA), a company that takes high school aged kids abroad to volunteer and explore! Now, I'm going on my gap year trip with Thinking Beyond Borders, a different company that provides gap year programs for college age students. They are separate programs, and yes both of them include Thailand.

Now, if you go to TBB's page (TBB Global Gap Year) the following questions are answered, but if you don't feel like it I'll also put some quick answers below the questions :)

4) Where are you going?
Guatemala (9 weeks), Thailand (7 weeks), Cambodia (1 week), Ghana (7 weeks), Morocco (1 week), Washington DC (3 weeks). If you read TBB's page, yes, I'm going to Thailand, not India. TBB had to change locations, but I don't know the specifics of the location change.

5) Who are you going with?
Others students also taking a gap year. The age range is 17-22 (But, I believe the oldest on my trip is 20).

6) Where are you staying?
I'll be staying with host families for the majority of the trip.

7) What will you be doing?
To put it simply, exploring the question: How to affect change in the world? (TBB's page breaks it down by country). But, TBB isn't a service program. I will not be "volunteering" exactly. We enter these countries as students, learning from local professionals about how they are implementing change within their own communities.

8) No phones! How will we know what you're up to?
This blog! TBB encourages students to let the folks back home know all about what they're learning. My internet access will be limited, but I plan to update once a week! Also, if you didn't know before, I will not be allowed any personal devices that can connect to the internet, and I will be writing my posts on the TBB shared laptops they provide for academic use.

Hopefully that clears it up for everyone!

Keep thinking,
Meg

2 comments:

  1. I think it is awesome! You will come back a different person for sure. Have an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete

The Biodegradable Band-Aid

Biodegradable is Barely a Solution Plastic is suffocating our earth. Humans are essentially “pouring one garbage truck of plas...