Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Day 26 - 35: Mi Familia Nueva

Inline image 1



Day 26 - 38: Mi Familia Nueva

Dreamfood:
  • I explored the Mayan ruins of Iximche (ee-sheem-chay) with my Mayan host family.
Culturescape:
  • Tortillas. Corn. MAIZ. Corn is the base of the Mayan diet and it's for real you guys. Warm corn tortillas with every meal. There are tortillarias on every corner. I'm eating more corn in Guatemala than I could ever dream of. In fact, when the Spainards invaded Guatemala they asked for gold, and the Mayans showed them corn.
  • Most of the Mayan population here is bilingual. They speak Kaqchikel and Spanish. My host mom, Ana Maria, is teaching Caroline, my homestay partner, and I some words in Kaqchikel no mind that neither of us can even speak Spanish.
  • Speaking of the Spainards invading, they did a great job ingraining their religion into the people of Guatemala because many of them are devoted Catholics including my host mother. She always jokes about how Caroline and I are sinners because we don't eat meat. (FYI, Caroline is Vegan and I am Vegetarian and that's why we're homestay partners)
  • I'm learning SO MUCH Spanish! Ana Maria speaks a little English, but most of our communication is in Spanish. This envrioment is basically forcing me to learn Spanish y rapido! Actually, I've started wrriting my journal entries in Spanglish or Espingles. Ana Maria and I have a special way of communicating, and she understands my broken Spanish. When other Spanish speakers talk to me, it's so much harder to understand. 
  • Everyone greets one another; Buenos días, Buenas tardes, Buenas noches, Buen provecho! It's been weird and hard to adjust to, but the more I get the hang of it the more I like it. It's very friendly, and it make me feel like I'm part of the community. Even though I've only been in Tecpan a week and a half, I'm already feeling like part of the community. Less people are staring and doing double takes (we are the only white people in town). The people here are so friendly and welcoming especially if you try and speak Spanish.
  • Another thing about speaking Spanish - most people assume that I don't speak Spanish; which is true. Kids passing on bikes will yell "HELLO" and throw out all the other Englilsh words they know, so impressed with themselves. I kind of feel offended, but I also feel like I don't have a right to feel that way since I've learned all my Spanish in the past month and a half. I've thought about how it would go in the US if someone yelled "HOLA" or started speaking Spanish at someone who looked hispanic. It would be taken terribly, but it's such a different situation here; it's a different context. Native English speakers, in my experience, don't think it nessacery to learn another language. The assumption these people make about us is mostly true. I mean essentially, every time you speak to a stranger - you are assuming what language they speak... I'll leave that there.
  • Speaking of assumptions, while I was in Iximche with my family, there were many white-looking tourists. I assumed they were like me; from the US, didn't speak much Spanish. But when my host mom asked a man to take a picture of all of us, she spoke in her broken English. The man was lowkey offened and wh¡ent on to speak Spanish with a non-native accent. Turns out, he was from Costa Rica. Assumptions being challenged left and right.
Homestay Heart/Time in Tecpan:

  • On day one, Ana Maria introduced us to her pets; Estrea, "Ponkey", and "Boeby" - los perros, and Simon - el gato. She asked me if I liked cats and I said yes, and I wish I had one..."You have one now". I melted. 
  • Speaking of Simon, he sits on my lap for almost every dinner and just purrs and purrs. I'm not the biggest fan of cats, but Simonhas won my heart. There's a joke going around that Simon es mi novio with Ana Maria, the nuns that Ana Maria hosts, and my host god siblings. 
  • Now about the dogs, I'm a dog person, but not in Guatemala. Ana Maria only has these dogs as a sign of excess wealth; they are poodles... And, these dogs are left chained up most of the day. In fact, Boeby lives on the roof. So, naturally they never shut up. They bark all the time, and sometimes I wonder if they even breathe because the barking is so constant.
  • Speaking of noise in general, I've grown a serious appreciation for noise complaints. There are noises at all hours of the day. Noises that would normally concern me in the States but that I have become numb to here in Guatemala. We arrived 4 days before Guatemala's independance day and heard loud noises randomly all throught the day and night. We were told they were for the party, and sometimes we could catch a glimpse of a convincing firework. But, Dia de la Independencia was September 15th....The party is over, but la bombas have continued, and every time I ask - "It's for the party". I've come to the conclusion that it's always a party in Guatemala. 
Academics:
  • I've been learning so much about agriculture, the policies around it in the US, and the system in general. It's appauling and I'll save it for a completely separate post since this one has already taken me 3 hours to write... I need to wrap it up. 
Human Highlight:
My new mom, Ana Maria, of course.
Fun Fact:
Guatemalan men wear too much cologne.

BE happy.
I've learned that sometimes I just need to let go and let myself feel happiness. Not everything has to be so serious.

"I'm numb to the booms." - Matty

Click here to see a video about my time in Guatemala!

Keep thinking,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Biodegradable Band-Aid

Biodegradable is Barely a Solution Plastic is suffocating our earth. Humans are essentially “pouring one garbage truck of plas...